MARLISCO European Video Contest
(This is for participation in the UK - for participation outside the UK please select flag to the right to view content for your country)
CATCH MARINE LITTER ON FILM
The competition is now closed for submissions. Thank you to all the teams who took part and entered their videos. The entries will be judged in the next few weeks. Information about the judging and awards will follow soon.
We've selected the Top 10 finalists...view them on YouTube here and VOTE on your favourite film!
Choose your favourites by giving them a 'thumbs up' in YouTube. The number of 'thumbs up' a video receives will influence the final choice of the winners by the judging panel.
In the competition, students 7-18 years old learnt about the problem of marine litter in the UK and shot their story in a creative and insightful short video to tell us why we should care or how it can be solved.
If your video is one of the winners, we will make sure that your views are heard loud and strong, together with other youngsters from Europe!
2. Plenary Quiz (5 mins) If you've not already done so, please get all team menbers to take this quick quiz AFTER submitting the video. Simply get each child to take the quiz and then discuss as a group afterwards. This also provides an opportunity to reflect on and discuss what they have learnt on this topic. If you don’t have computer suite facilities print the quiz on paper and post to us.
The quizzes tell us what children know and think about marine litter after learning about this issue. We think that children’s views will change after taking part in the contest as they learn more about this important topic and understand the impacts and solutions. The results of this evaluation will be available on request.
Great PRIZES sponsored by the National Marine Aquarium
Prizes will be awarded to winners and runners up in the two age categories (7-11 and 12-18 years)
1st Prize £500 + trophy
2nd prize £300 + trophy
3rd prize £200 + trophy
Trophy for the school/group and teacher
UK awards ceremony
Winners and runners up will be invited to a celebrity prize giving ceremony on 2 April at the National Marine Aquarium, Plymouth.
1. Candida Brady - British filmaker and journalist. Candida recently produced and directed the documentary feature film, 'Trashed', which follows Academy Award winner Jeremy Irons on a world tour as he discovers the pressing issues surrounding waste and sustainability.
2. The MARLISCO UK team at Plymouth University - Professor Richard Thompson, Dr Bonny Hartley and Dr Sabine Pahl
3. National Marine Aquarium representative (filmaker or marine specialist)
4. Public vote on YouTube will be one aspect the panel of judges will take into account...VOTE HERE!
EU awards ceremony
The best UK video will be included in a final film, which will compile all the winners from the 14 participating countries. Representatives of the awarded team will be invited to the EU Ceremony of Maritime Days 17th-20th May 2014 in Bremen, Germany, where the final film compilation will be premiered. The travel and subsistence costs will be covered by MARLISCO.